How Pilates Works
Pilates works by exercising the deep core muscles in the body. These are the stabilising muscles which lie deep around the spine and pelvis to provide the body with support. Weak core stability and gluteal muscles lead to an increased load on the spine and pelvis, often resulting in joint and muscle pain in these areas. The core is also a central base for upper and lower limb movement; therefore weakness in the core can lead to reduced power of movement and affect performance in sports. Pilates exercises also target and strengthen the deep muscles surrounding the shoulder girdle and neck, contributing to an overall improved postural alignment.
The 5 Key Elements
At Physiolates, our Pilates trained therapists are highly experienced in teaching Pilates from beginner to intermediate levels (Growlates), through to the more advanced levels (Prolates).
The 5 key elements of Pilates are:
- Core activation – turning your deep core and pelvic floor muscles on with the pelvis in a neutral position.
- Head placement – lengthening your neck and drawing your chin in to activate the deep neck flexors.
- Ribcage placement – relaxing the front of your ribcage down.
- Shoulder blade placement – gently drawing the shoulder blades down your back.
- Breathing – inhaling and exhaling rhythmically during the exercises.
Once you have mastered core activation, your therapist will take you through different levels of progression for various exercises and may add in the use of small equipment to make exercises easier or more challenging.
Benefits of Pilates
Benefits of Pilates include:
- Improved posture
- Reduced pain
- Increased body awareness
- A strong solid core
- Reduced risk of injury
- Greater relaxation
- Improved performance in sports
- A quicker recovery post injury
- Increased overall well-being
- Meeting new people in classes
You will start to notice these benefits after just 8 sessions or even sooner if you continue Pilates between sessions.
Hear from one of our happy clients
See what our other clients are saying in our testimonials.
Back To Top